Friday, April 1, 2011

Reflecting on the Prayer of St. Francis

The prayer of St. Francis

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace,
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
where there is injury, pardon;
where there is doubt, faith;
where there is despair, hope;
where there is darkness, light;
where there is sadness, joy;
O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood as to understand;
to be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive;
it is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
and it is in dying that we are born to eternal life.

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace. I want to be a peacemaker, not a troublemaker. Really, I do. But sometimes I catch myself venting frustrations or saying divisive things. Sometimes I say things I do not think will be divisive, but they are. Sometimes I'm not sure that making peace is the right thing to do. Should we not speak out about injustice, advocate for causes we believe in or somehow try to make a difference in a world that mostly is motivated by nonpeaceful tactics? 

On the other hand, isn't peace what we long for the most in this life? Doesn't strife and turmoil wear us down, exhaust us and drain us of resources we need to get through our days? 

I have met people -- not many -- who exude peace in a remarkable way that makes others feel at peace, comfortable and relaxed. How do they do it? That's what I want to do. We are called to act for social justice, to stand up for the innocent, the victimized, the weak and vulnerable. 

But maybe we don't have to do it in a militant way. Maybe I can center myself in a way that will enable me to embody peace.

Where there is hatred, let me sow love. Why is it so easy to hate, so difficult to love? That seems backward. What happens when we act out of hatred? Do we make the world a better place? I don't think so. But boy, it sure feels good sometimes. Well, for a little while. Actually, only while we're doing it. When we've spent our hatred, we feel demeaned, uncomfortable, guilty. So why do we do it? Let me sow love instead. If I give in to the urge to be hateful, I feel bad about myself, but if I resist and instead give the benefit of the doubt, return love where anger or bitterness is offered, I feel good about myself and perhaps in the end, the other person feels better, too.

Where there is injury, pardon. This is the heart of the Christian faith. Turn the other cheek. Father, they know not what they are doing. It's easy to lash out at someone who hurts us, but far more beneficial to forgive, understand and offer goodwill in return. Beneficial, but difficult. It takes strength and resolve. 

The rest of the prayer, I will save for another Lenten  post. 

No comments: